Ditch the click... Record as a band!
Don’t be told you must record to a click! With our setup, no click, no problem!
Great acoustics for a natural sound
Our live room provides a great natural ambience, for capturing the real you.
Unparalleled drum sound
Engineer James Gasson employs unique recording techniques for a thundering drum sound.
Special deal for drummers
A day of drum tracking for only £200. Take your files away with you at the end.
Third Circle Recordings is a recording and production studio in Brighton & Hove, built and operated by musician and recording engineer, James Gasson, for any band or artist looking for a natural sound that honours the raw power of their material and the uniqueness of the performer.
Put your hand up if any of this sounds familiar:
- You want to record together as a band to capture that live energy, not sit behind a computer noodling to a click track.
- You’ve done your recording but for some reason it doesn’t seem to sound like your band.
- The drums on your recording sound weak… mulchy… not present… and you can’t work out why.
- Your mix sounds muddy and squashed… it lacks clarity.
- The last producer you worked with seemed disinterested, or didn’t really seem to “get” you…
Yep. I get it. I’ve been there. That’s why I built this studio.
Bands and artists should sound like their true selves, in all their wonderful, human uniqueness, yet in this digital culture we’re too quick to falsely represent ourselves. Our software screams at us to “fix” everything, until boring, generic “perfection” is achieved. My friends… we are not machines. We are human.
With a focus on mic techniques, room acoustics, the quality of the source instrument and the comfort of the performer, it is my belief that the most evocative recordings are achieved by faithfully capturing a “moment”; bands performing together as one, with all their human characteristics embraced and the acoustic environment faithfully represented.
When we work together at the studio, I will do whatever it takes to help you realise your vision and to harness your true character, to embed that into the music that is so uniquely, so preciously, yours.
Now put your hand down. You look ridiculous.
“Textbook methods harbour textbook results.”
— James Gasson
When it comes to recording there is much that can be discussed. Too much, in fact, to cram into a few paragraphs on a studio website. In order to pre-empt some of your questions I have written several blog posts addressing common queries. If you can’t find the answer you’re looking for here, by all means drop us a line and we will happily discuss your concerns.
Things you need to know
• A 20% deposit must be made at time of booking, refundable up to one calendar month prior to your session.
• Please have the means to pay the outstanding amount on the day of your session.
• Payment must be made by a single nominated person.
• Recording days typically begin at 10am and end at 6pm. Equipment may be loaded in from 9.30am.
• Street parking is available on the roads surrounding the studio. Please see this parking map for details.
• You will be liable for any unreasonable damage to equipment during your session.
• While every effort is made to ensure the safety and security of equipment stored at the studio, any equipment left onsite is done so at your own risk.
• Please specify at time of booking any specific equipment you would like to use, otherwise availability cannot be guaranteed.
• It is your responsibility to make sure that you are sufficiently prepared for your session. We are not accountable for any delays incurred by lack of preparation on your part (faulty instruments, under-rehearsed performers, etc.)